This week’s Memory Verse
2 Timothy 2:22 (New International Version)
22Flee the evil desires of youth, and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.
Ok, so, I’m really late getting this week’s study online for you guys, and I am SO sorry, but if I told you that I have been to the pits and back you might understand it a little more. Either way, we are here TODAY and you are going to love what we did this past week for Session #4 of the book study, “Do You Think I’m Beautiful” by Angela Thomas!
Right now I want you to grab a piece of paper and we are going to jump right into this week’s lesson.
1) Grab a piece of paper and a pencil (or pen) and draw either a single flower in a vase or a vase that is filled with flowers. (No, you are not being graded on artistry!)
* Beauty comes in different shapes, sizes, colors, and fragrances. When they all come together they create a beautiful aroma, just like this group of women (online and at the LIVE! group).
2) Look at your picture of your vase and flower(s). On the inside of your vase I want you to write down the following; “If your lives were empty of characteristics, past experiencesthat shape who you are today, or messages/tapes that you hear from the past, what kinds of characteristics would you like to fill your lives?”
* Simplify it! If you could add any positive characteristics to yourself, what would they be? Write them on the inside of the vase.
3) Now, take your picture of your vase with your flower(s) and on the outside of the vase, either floating around it or at the bottom of the page, I want you to take a minute to write down the things you would like to “weed out” of your lives.
* Unpack the junk! Here’s a great place for you to unload the things about yourself that you don’t like and you want to toss out. Remember, these are “characteristics”!
1It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.
(here is a picture that I drew during our LIVE! group meeting)
Psalm 103:12 (New International Version)
12 as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us.
* When we continually focus on past sins in our lives, we doubt God and block ourselves from receiving all the love He has to give us.
** Take some time to go straight to the Word on this, read the story of the woman caught in Adultery in John 8:2-12.
1 John 4:16-18 (New International Version)
16And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him. 17In this way, love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment, because in this world we are like him. 18There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.
* Look specifically at verse 18 and think about the negative characteristic in your life that you would like to eliminate. How does fear or other negatives in your life relate to punishment? What do the negatives in life keep you from doing?
Re-write the verse and subsitute the word FEAR with the negative you’d like to remove from your life!
1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.
1 John 4:18 – _________________________________________________________
Come back NEXT week as we discuss Session #5 “The Only Hope You Have” on Thursday, October 23rd! Keep reading, keep growing, and keep believing that the God of Heaven calls you BEAUTIFUL!