Session #3 ~ Ire Fire ~ “Never go to bed mad. Stay up and fight.” ~ Phyllis Diller
Ire (According toDictionary.com)
~ –noun ~ intense anger; wrath. ~ Synonyms: fury, rage, choler, spleen.
* Kindness is a way to express feelings that’s more likely to be heard by…
* Truth is imperative. It’s our ticket to liberty… Ephesians 4:15 (NIV) ~ Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ.
Page 20 ~
THINK ABOUT IT
* How did he or she look?
* What was the outcome of the fury?
* Did that person win?
Read 2 Peter 1:2-9
Re-Read 2 Peter 1:5-7
5For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness;
and to goodness, knowledge;
6and to knowledge, self-control;
and to self-control, perseverance;
and to perseverance, godliness;
7and to godliness, brotherly kindness;
and to brotherly kindness, love.
List out what the Fruits of the Spirit are here:
22But the fruit of the Spirit is
Against such things there is no law.
THINK ABOUT IT
* Write out or discuss your thoughts on each “virtue” (from 2 Peter 1:5-7) and how that applies to your life right now.
* Pity’s mantra is “self” – how I feel, what I think, what I want…
Page 29 ~
* Self-pity is a roadblock to maturity, not to mention that it keeps joy and…
3 Things to Tackle Pity
1) I have to: _________________________________
2) I have to: _________________________________
3) I have to: _________________________________
Read Philippians 1:21 ~ 21For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.
Page 30 ~
* I found it helpful to observe how others coped with disappointment and…
In the Study Guide on Page 129 it talks about finding some pity pals. Did you take the time to list out who those 2-3 ladies would be? If not, do so now.
List two or three friends you can call when you are feeling sorry for yourself. Chose those who will listen but won’t let you indulge. Reach out to them and ask if they would be your “pity pal”. Share with them how you’re working on this area of your life.
Page 33 ~
* Dear sisters, we don’t know what is in store for us either. But we do know…
Read Psalm 40:2-3
He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.
He put a new song in my mouth,
a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear
and put their trust in the LORD.
Hang with me here for a minute, would ya…
* When you are having a pity party and you are always sinking into the pit of despair it is really easy to get stuck in the mud and the muck. But HE lifts you out;
He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire;
* Not only does HE lift you out HE places you in a safe spot where you can stand on your own two feet again.
he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.
* Did you ever notice when you are actually IN the pit that it is dark, sad, & lonely? Chances are while you are in the pit you aren’t singing any praise songs either, right? But guess what…AFTER He lifts you out, the places your feet on a rock, He then;
He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God.
* Then, after you have been picked up out of the pit, set upon a rock to stand on, and the music comes back to your mouth, something even more amazing happens. Because ALL this time people have been watching you. No, not in a stalker sort of way, but in a “well, she says she’s a Christian, but let’s see what happens now that things are falling apart around her.” way and guess what? Because of the way you handle yourself, get lifted out of the pit, start to stand on your feet again, and start singing His praises, this happens…
Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD.
Is that incredible or what?
This study has been SO rich in depth, words, and context…I pray you are taking the time to really let it soak in. No longer do we have to deal with IRE FIRE or the PERILS OF PAULINE because we are dealing with our emotions head on!