Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
Ok…I am going to be brutally honest with y’all on this one…I struggle with counting it ALL to Joy! Do you know what I am talking about? I mean, let’s think this one through…
– You find out your best friend all of the sudden doesn’t want to have anything to do with you…Do you count THAT to joy?
– You lose the job you loved more than anything…Do you count THAT to joy?
– The child that you have prayed for forever is in their teenage years and they are just down right mean and rebellious…Do you count THAT to joy?
– The man you married and said “til death do us part” didn’t and left you with the house, the kids, the mess…Do you count THAT to joy?
– You go to the doctor because something just isn’t right only to find out you have cancer…Do you count THAT to joy?
The answer is YES, YES, and YES my sisters…
Oh man, my heart breaks, it feels like it is on the floor, but no matter how bad it gets I am NEVER alone and I have FAITH that He will bring me through it, if I make the choice to COUNT IT ALL TO JOY!
That’s the trick here….JOY IS A CHOICE!!! (Not an easy one, but a choice nonetheless)…Hear me on that…
For the LORD God is a sun and shield;
the LORD bestows favor and honor;
no good thing does he withhold
from those whose walk is blameless.
In one of the books I am reading it was talking about that our character is not truly revealed until we are in the middle of a trial…OUCH, and yet so true… Come on, you know what I am talking about here…
It is in the midst of our mess that HE (and only HE) is glorified!!!! It is in how we handle the unfairness, the injustice, the mess, the trial, the tragedy that the LIGHT of God can shine through us.
It is so humbling to know that He seems to think I am up to the challenge because in my lifetime, and even more so lately, I feel like I am in the middle of the ocean, in a Category 4 hurricane, with a little paddle boat and a dinky little life preserver…but ladies…here’s what I know…my dinky little life preserver might not look like much on the outside, on the inside it is filled with the Life giving, energizing peace that can only come from HIM….
Hang on tight sisters…you might be on a bumpy ride right now, but if you COUNT IT ALL TO JOY it changes your mind set from “poor pitiful me”, to “WOW…God must really think I can handle this…something BIG must be coming!!!” (How much better is that to think of?)
Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experiences of trials and suffering can the soul be strengthened, vision cleared, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
Right now, what is one trial that you are going through that you can turn it around and COUNT IT ALL TO JOY?