Welcome back to the weekly Online Book/Bible Study on the Book, “Do You Think I’m Beautiful” by Angela Thomas! We meet LIVE! on Tuesday’s in the South Florida area (if you are in the area we’d love for you to join us) and we meet HERE online on Thursday’s to go over the weekly thoughts, comments, and ideas! Today we will be discussing Session #3, “The Shout“, come on in and join us!
Let me ask you a question…Could you hear God’s voice this week? Or was there too much Noise, Radio, Cell Phone, Thinking about the Day…blocking out what God’s trying to tell us.
* Did you know that NOISE is one of the things that keeps us from hearing from God?
* Both Clutter and Noise keep us from hearing what God has to say to us.
1 Kings 19:11-12 (New International Version)
11 The LORD said, “Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the LORD, for the LORD is about to pass by.” Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. 12 After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper.
* List out things we read about in Session #3 that might cause clutter or noise.
* Go to Page 62 in the Workbook – What things on that list can you relate to?
(overscheduling, isolation, rebellion, driveness, perfectionism, envy, insecurity, anger, obsessions, relationships, addictions, gossip, lying, rejection, fears, legalism, depression, bitterness, body image, sabotaging your health, unforgiveness)
– There is one other barrier that keeps us from hearing from God, and that barrier is interference from the evil one. He is the source of lies.
Check out these different versions of 2 Timothy 1:7;
2 Timothy 1:7 (New International Version) 7For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.
2 Timothy 1:7 (Amplified Bible) 7For God did not give us a spirit of timidity (of cowardice, of craven and cringing and fawning fear), but [He has given us a spirit] of power and of love and of calm and well-balanced mind and discipline and self-control.
– Take a minute and think about how fear and timidity are from the devil. How do fear and timidity can keep women from serving God or even believing God.
Jeremiah 29:13 (New International Version) 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
* Think about those times when you have heard the voice of God. Include times when you sensed God’s spirit connecting with you during worship, Bible Study, reading, prayer, etc. If you have had those moments where you’ve felt close to God and you would like to share them with us please take a minute to comment about it so we can share it with you! 😉
Ok, so, now we know that the noise and busyness keeps us from hearing God, let’s get practical and figure out what to do about it. Let’s make TWO lists and figure this all out.
One List – List out things you can do to unclutter your lives and reduce the noice in your life.
Second List – List out things you can do to seek God and hear His voice this week.
2 Corinthians 12:9 (New International Version)
9But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.
Take down these verses and hold on to them this week as you seek to hear God’s gentle whisper!
Come back next Thursday, October 16th, as we discuss Session #4 “A Pursuing Heart“. Until then remember, YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!